Sunday, November 21, 2010

Stop running and stay with myself

Can I survive without being in a relationship? The fact of the matter is that, deep down inside, I never have answered that question for myself. I have always believed that finding my next relationship could kick that can down the road, and provide an escape.
I have arrived at a difficult dilemna. Enough women have called my house a dump and told me that no woman would ever be in a relationship with me. I have been told that I am unbalanced and that I focus too much on saving and investing. As a result I am thinking that it might be wise to attempt to stop trying to find another relationship.
An alternative, of course, is to make sweeping and drastic changes to my finances and housing. Alternatives include pouring money into rehabbing the entire inside of my house, or selling my house and making the correct guess in choosing a small condo that a woman would enjoy with me, in the right location, etc. The problem with those options is that I would be doing it fully with the intent of pleasing a  hypothetical woman into joining me in my life. If I am the same deperate and pathetic half-person waiting for a relationship to give me what I lack, I doubt that the finest mansion would keep a woman with me.
I have also had enough women flee from me, usually in the arms of another man, that I am losing my belief that a new relationship can save me. I am beginning to believe that relationships for me right now only delay my chance for healing.
So--what and how do I do this? I think that step number one is to stop looking for a relationship. Step number two is to make this a significant time commitment, and see what happens to me on the inside. Spending much time alone, observing myself and blogging about what I see may help me to get to know me, understand the riddles, wounds, and unmet dreams and develop the courage to act on it, no matter what that may entail.
I might even stop doing stuff which hasn't helped. I have poured thousands down the drain of relationship bribery: dinners, flowers, drinks, entertainment, vacations, presents. Where is the love that all that supposed 'generosity' purchased? No one is here by my side; all I have is a self, which has been unknown all these years. I might as well not spend the money on all of these love bribes. Maybe I will be able to afford and choose to spend it on myself---just as soon as I can figure out what I want, what I need.
And, not to mention time. If I am not chasing a relationship, I have time to spend with myself. Not that I haven't been willing to give that time away, but I never have been willing to give it to myself. What might I find? I don't know, but maybe I ought to give myself a chance and see whether there is anyone there.

1 comment:

Benia Zouras said...

I think it would be genuinely helpful for you to focus your efforts on doing what you enjoy in life, rather than hoping to please anyone else. If you like your home the way it is, that's really all that matters. YOU are the one who lives there. Anyone who doesn't accept you for who you are should not waste your time anyway.